Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Chocolat

I was given a mission before I left the states to find Johnny Depp. It should be easy my friend said, he lives in France, it's a small country. "By the time I get there you should have it all scoped out."

Yesterday, I swear I was walking in his foot steps. The town of Flavigny-sur-Ozerain is where the movie "Chocolat" was filmed, at least part of it, such is Hollywood. It is about 2 hours from our home and is on the way to Dijon, our destination for the day.

So a little side trip, we took. In addition, the town is labeled as "Les Plus Beaux Village de France."
Criteria for this label includes (according to Wikipedia) the population not exceed 2,000 inhabitants and must have at least 2 protected areas (picturesque or legendary sites, or sites of scientific, artistic, or historical interest).

It was a terrific find. Charming cobblestone streets, 15th century buildings, very picturesque, they prefer you walk the town, it was the best way to see it. Les Anis de Flavigny candy is produced in this town and shipped not only in France, but to the US and Canada. Perhaps you have seen this candy. There are many flavors, but in each candy there is one anise seed. We could occasionally smell the scent of anise in the air.


Near Flavigny-sur-Ozerain there is a winery dating to the 8th century, no surprise, we are in Burgundy country. This place keeps getting better! But, this is where I was told dissappointing news. Johnny Depp never set foot in this town. Ahhhhhh, my search continues.






I want this car, it is so cute. 









No comments:

Post a Comment